Geo.X Career Day 2017 "Scientific Life Balance"
October 20th, 2017 - 9.30 to 16.00 hrs.
An der Urania 17
This career day is about the art of work-life-balance in scientific research. This event seeks to help all female and male students and researchers, at all scientific career levels, who would like to gain insight into the ways of balancing that really work!
In the morning, female and male speakers share their personal experiences and strategies as open space hosts. Open space topics include how to build up effective time management strategies or skills, being a dual-career-couple in science, overcoming “presentism” at the workplace, coping with the mobility requirements in science, and many more. We compare the situation in Germany to other countries, as well as the conditions inside and outside of academia.
In the afternoon, we host a plenary discussion with science policy and research funding experts and decision-makers to provide the chance for additional discussion, and to contribute suggestions for improving work-life-balance on a more general level.
At the end of the day, we ask if scientists can really have a satisfactory work-life-balance or if they have to learn how to cope with an everlasting dilemma that cannot be solved sufficiently?
09:00 to 09:30 a.m.
09:30 to 9:40 a.m.
9:40 to 10:00 a.m.
Key note by Svenja Neupert
Striving for scientific life balance: What are essential fields of intra- and interpersonal conflict?
10:00 to 10:30 a.m.
Introduction of the open space hosts (Mark Edwards)
10:30 to 12:30 p.m.
Open space session on the following topics:
- How to combine family & PhD | Host: Dr. Jana de Wiljes
- Scientific parents with temporal contracts | Host: Dr. Natasa Conrad
- Dual career couples in science | Host: Dr. Michael Dietze
- At the top: professors & work life balance | Host: Prof. Dr. Silvie Roelly
- Abroad with family | Host: Prof. Dr. Dirk Scherler
- Two cities - one couple | Host: Prof. Dr. Heike Siebert
- Work life balance without kids | Host: Dr. Henry Wichura
- Leadership perspectives on scientific life balance | Host: Prof. Dr. Axel Bronstert
- Coaching perspectives on scientific life balance | Host: Dr. Neela Enke
- Ciao academia! | Host: Dr. Carsten Riggelsen
12:30 to 13:00 p.m.
Sharing results and synthesis (Svenja Neupert)
13:00 to 14:00 p.m.
14:00 to 14:45 p.m.
Podium discussion (Moderation: Mark Edwards)
Prof. Dr. Axel Bronstert (Universiät Potsdam)
Dr. Neela Enke (Coachingnetz Wissenschaft)
Dr. Corinna Fuhrich-Grubert (Humboldt-Universität Berlin)
Dr. Ines Medved (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft)
Prof. Dr. Christian Thomsen (Technische Universität Berlin)
14:45 to 15:45 p.m.
Discussion in the plenary (Moderation: Mark Edwards)
15:45 to 16:00 p.m.
Closing (Svenja Neupert)